“God Almightie first planted a Garden. And indeed, it is the Purest of Humane pleasure. It is the Greatest Refreshment to the Spirits of Man.” — Francis Bacon (1561-1626)
At St. Peter’s, we are blessed with the space for gardens that beautify our churchyard and provide a place of remembrance, reflection and prayer.
Our Mother’s Garden is located to the left of the main entrance. Each Mother’s Day, parishioners are invited to make a contribution in loving memory of or in grateful thanksgiving for a mother in their life. These gifts are used to maintain the garden.
The trees that line Huiginn Hall along Ocean Street were also planted in loving memory of mothers and grandmothers.
The Labyrinth is located on the Hale Street side of the building and was constructed to commemorate the 150th Anniversary of St. Peter’s and in loving memory of Lis Gordon, a beloved parish member. Labyrinths are often used for contemplation, meditation and prayer.
Memorial Garden. In the area adjacent to the Mother’s Garden, a Memorial Garden has been established in which ashes of loved ones may be buried. The person’s name is included on a plaque inside the church.